[Nix-dev] Re: Merging fix-style branch into the trunk ?

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Thu Feb 26 13:21:48 CET 2009

Hello,

Nicolas Pierron
<nicolas.b.pierron at gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 10:00, Ludovic Courtès <ludo at gnu.org> wrote:

>> I see only two uses of "script =" in the `fix-style' branch: one in
>> `activate-configuration.nix' itself and the other in
>> `upstart-jobs/xserver/displayManager/default.nix'.
>
> And they are not related to each other.  If you want to see all
> reference to the activation script, I suggest you to search for the
> option name, which is not script but activationScript.

OK, I figured it out in the meantime.

>> Also, I suppose the order in which activation script snippets are
>> concatenated is unspecified, or rather it's the alphabetical order of
>> the name of the attributes they're bound to, right?  That looks fragile
>> to me.
>
> First all snippet are collected in an unknown order and they are
> sorted by looking at their dependencies.

I guess sorting is handled by `mergedTypedOption' in
`activate-configuration.nix', right?  If so, can you explain how it ends
up sorting in the order you mention?

Side note: shm support appears to be missing in the `fix-style' branch.
My concern is that other changes made in `trunk' may be missing as well.

>> How about the activation script itself and other "side changes"?  I
>> would find it easier if we could selectively merge what we want rather
>> that one large chunk of assorted changes.
>
> You are free to try

Yes I am, but the change appears to be pretty big, mixing interesting
but unrelated modifications.  Would it be possible for you to
cherry-pick only the Upstart job changes to start with?  Then we could
consider the activation script changes separately.

Thanks,
Ludo'.