[Nix-dev] Re: May I remove the old python code?

Andres Loeh andres.loeh at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 7 16:39:17 CET 2009

Marc, could you please explain in a few words what the difference between the
old and the new python expressions are (including advantages/disadvantages)?
I'm rarely using python, so I don't know yet.

Ludo, while I have no idea about the actual implementation used for the new
python, I think that installing language libraries via nix-env and
solely relying
on ad-hoc composition in the user environment cannot in general work reliably.
Is it really so bad to have to edit a Nix expression once in a while? I agree,
for a mass user market, that's not a good choice, and in the long term, we
probably need a more powerful nix-env, but for now ...?

Cheers,
  Andres