[Nix-dev] Re: May I remove the old python code?

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Thu Jan 8 10:50:40 CET 2009

>   1. Building a Python library that depends on another Python library.
>      The user environment is not involved here.  Python's `setup-hook'
>      can help, and `makeWrapper' or similar can also be used to ensure
>      that the Python library depended on is in the `PYTHONPATH'.

NO you can't, maybe you haven't read my other post telling you to look
it up in comments:

# By default python looks in the $prefix/lib/python-$version/site-packages directory
# and reads the .pth files to add the library paths to sys.path.
# Using PYHTONPATH is not enough because it doesn't make python read the .pth files
# telling python where to find additional modules. PYTHONUSERBASE would suffice, but
# it only supports *one* user location. That's why I've added the new env var NIX_PYTHON_SITES
# containing a colon separated list of modules telling python where to look
# for imports and also read the .pth files

This tells you why PYTHONPATH is *not* enough. I've spend about a week writing
all this stuff and I didn't find a better solution. PYTHONPATH not working has
forced me starting to write this.

Andres:

Maybe you remember all the posts about the new combosableDerivation and
applyAndFun posts.
You can look them up. pythonNew is based on that. It has been my first use and
test case for that. If you need more references I'll digg them up for you.
(Maybe start by looking up composableDerviaiton in all-packages.nix and then
follow the links)

Sincerly

Marc Weber