[Nix-dev] Gentoo is rice!

Tony White tonywhite100 at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 2 18:19:45 CEST 2009

2009/7/2 Armijn Hemel <armijn at uulug.nl>:
> On Thu, 2009-07-02 at 17:27 +0200, Lluís Batlle wrote:
>> http://funroll-loops.info/
>
> Hm. I prefer not to make fun of other distributions for no reasons and
> enter (yet another) senseless flame war.
>
> armijn
>
> PS: admit it, you want a car like that too ;-)
>
> --

I certainly didn't want to start a flame war about gentoo.
Just maybe point out why wanting to set lots of aggressive flags is
counter productive, especially in anything like trunk.

I have to admit that, that site is a little aggressive (And so are the
flags, LOL) But I think a lot of it is a "Tongue in cheek" Look and a
waving and pointing of fingers in a sarcastic way.

As a whole gentoo isn't a bad distribution, it's just when you get
those that want to selfishly try to optimize everything in such a way,
it kind of spoils it for those that are testing seriously and
genuinely want to contribute to the project.

Gentoo is actually a great distribution but the thing that harms it is
the amount of maintenance that the ebuilds require. Some thing I would
like to see NixOS avoid if at all possible. :)

Thanks,

Tony