[Nix-dev] Proprietary fonts not installed by default

Tony White tonywhite100 at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 8 23:44:01 CEST 2009

2009/7/8 Michael Raskin <7c6f434c at mail.ru>:

Hi Michael,
That's a currently valid point, however there is no telling what will
happen in the future.
People (Evil IMO) Are working to change the law in Europe and they are
very persistent, if currently failing miserably.
To add to that, UK patent law differs slightly from Europe in that
computer programs used in an industrial process are not covered. The
UK is also in Europe but use NixOs in maybe a POS or CAD system to
produce a product or retail some goods here in the UK and there you
go, you've broken the law unwittingly.

Unless someone is a lawyer and wants to volunteer to deal with legal
issues and represent those responsible for NixOs, I still think it
should all be placed under one umbrella of restriction as most of the
other Linux distributors do, which includes software with vague or non
proprietary licenses. Whether or not certain countries allow or
disallow patented software. Programmers, packagers and maintainers are
not lawyers. So should distance themselves from such political and
legal nonsense and focus purely on the job at hand instead.
Distancing every developer and every user from any legal nonsense in
one full swoop is the safest option and that's where I stand
regardless of the legal validity of where I live or where anyone else
lives. The distribution is available world wide in ISO format and
should by default be aimed at everybody with the option to choose.

I disagree wholeheartedly that individual non free stuff and potential
patent infringing software be treated differently by default because
some people can have have it whilst others can't.

I'm sure you guys will work it out,

Tony