[Nix-dev] nix crashing

Bill Trost trost at cloud.rain.com
Sat Jul 11 05:12:20 CEST 2009

Hi, all,

I'm trying to bring up nix on my Ubuntu Jaunty i386 system and am getting the
attached error when I run nix-env. This happens to me with both nix-0.12 and
with nix-0.13pre13403. I built it without using any flags to configure or to
make.

One other problem I've noticed while wresting with this is that
/nix/var/nix/profiles is empty. That might be causing the error I quote
below. I don't see what I have to do to create a profile -- nothing
in the documentation I've read has suggested I need to do anything to
create the initial profile.

On the other hand, subscribing to a channel (both stable and unstable) and
updating it seems to work -- at least, there are no errors.

I also briefly tried using the latest .deb for Intrepid, but got an
error about gtkLibs being undefined. I also tried the svn repository, but am
getting wrapped up with the docbook-related dependencies getting marked as
missing by configure even when they are at least partially present.

Thanks for any help -- this stopped being fun a few hours ago. I had
expected this was supposed to be easy to install!

Bill

$ sudo nix-env -qa '*' > /dev/null
error: while evaluating the function at `/home/trost/.nix-defexpr/channels/nixpkgs_unstable/pkgs/development/tools/misc/avrdude/default.nix', line 1:
while evaluating the `with' body at `/home/trost/.nix-defexpr/channels/nixpkgs_unstable/pkgs/development/tools/misc/avrdude/default.nix', line 1:
while evaluating the attribute `<let-body>' at `/home/trost/.nix-defexpr/channels/nixpkgs_unstable/pkgs/development/tools/misc/avrdude/default.nix', line 2:
while evaluating the function at `/home/trost/.nix-defexpr/channels/nixpkgs_unstable/pkgs/lib/composable-derivation.nix', line 13:
while evaluating the function at `/home/trost/.nix-defexpr/channels/nixpkgs_unstable/pkgs/lib/misc.nix', line 64:
while evaluating the attribute `<let-body>' at `/home/trost/.nix-defexpr/channels/nixpkgs_unstable/pkgs/lib/misc.nix', line 65:
while evaluating the function at `/home/trost/.nix-defexpr/channels/nixpkgs_unstable/pkgs/lib/misc.nix', line 57:
while evaluating the attribute `<let-body>' at `/home/trost/.nix-defexpr/channels/nixpkgs_unstable/pkgs/lib/misc.nix', line 58:
while evaluating the function at `/home/trost/.nix-defexpr/channels/nixpkgs_unstable/pkgs/lib/composable-derivation.nix', line 23:
while evaluating the function at `/home/trost/.nix-defexpr/channels/nixpkgs_unstable/pkgs/stdenv/generic/default.nix', line 45:
while evaluating the function at `/home/trost/.nix-defexpr/channels/nixpkgs_unstable/pkgs/lib/misc.nix', line 60:
while evaluating the attribute `<let-body>' at `/home/trost/.nix-defexpr/channels/nixpkgs_unstable/pkgs/lib/misc.nix', line 61:
while evaluating the attribute `applyPreTidyFun' at `/home/trost/.nix-defexpr/channels/nixpkgs_unstable/pkgs/lib/misc.nix', line 62:
while evaluating the function at `/home/trost/.nix-defexpr/channels/nixpkgs_unstable/pkgs/lib/lists.nix', line 17:
while evaluating the function at `/home/trost/.nix-defexpr/channels/nixpkgs_unstable/pkgs/lib/misc.nix', line 118:
while evaluating the attribute `applyPreTidy' at undefined position:
while evaluating the attribute `value' at `/home/trost/.nix-defexpr/channels/nixpkgs_unstable/pkgs/lib/attrsets.nix', line 97:
while evaluating the function at `/home/trost/.nix-defexpr/channels/nixpkgs_unstable/pkgs/lib/misc.nix', line 311:
while evaluating the function at `/home/trost/.nix-defexpr/channels/nixpkgs_unstable/pkgs/lib/attrsets.nix', line 30:
attribute `isString' missing