[Nix-dev] nix crashing

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Mon Jul 13 23:05:57 CEST 2009

Hi Bill

Excerpts from Bill Trost's message of Sat Jul 11 05:12:20 +0200 2009:
> with nix-0.13pre13403. I built it without using any flags to configure or to
           ^^^^^^^^^^^ too old, see below
[..]
> while evaluating the function at
> `/home/trost/.nix-defexpr/channels/nixpkgs_unstable/pkgs/lib/attrsets.nix',
> line 30:
> attribute `isString' missing

I haven't looked too closely at the trace. But this is very likely
caused by

  inherit (builtins) [...] isString;

in attrsets.nix

I added the isString builtin function in nix trunk rev 13990.

So you must get sources newer or equal to that revision.

As workaround you can try to rewrite this function maybe using
isString x = ! isAttrs x && ! is... &&  x == builtins.toString x
But I don't think it will catch all cases correctly.

So you have installed everything correctly but the nixpkgs version
doesn't fit the nix version.

As alternative you can try checking out nixpkgs prior to rev 15694 which
didn't use that isString builtin function.
However I strongly recommend using latest nixpkgs always.

Sincerly
Marc Weber