[Nix-dev] Re: Distinction between `gmp' and `gmpxx'

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Sat Jul 18 17:22:54 CEST 2009

Hi Ludovic,

 > I would be in favor in keeping only one variant, with C++ bindings
 > enabled, because it doesn't pull any additional run-time dependency to
 > have them.

I agree. I ran into problems because the standard gmp library doesn't
include C++ bindings, so I added gmpxx as an additional variant because
that felt like the least intrusive solution at the time. It's not a good
solution, though. Unless there's a compelling reason why C++ bindings
must be disabled by default, I'd be in favor of enabling them in gmp.
That would make gmpxx obsolete.

Take care,
Peter