[Nix-dev] nix-build failing to run

Bill Trost trost at cloud.rain.com
Sun Jul 19 17:49:11 CEST 2009

I discovered that nixpkgs was missing a simple program I wanted,
so I thought I'd try my hand at a simple nix expression.
So, I wrote a default.nix file in an empty directory and
ran "nix-build -A quilt", only to get the error message

  error: cannot auto-call a function that has an argument without a default value (`stdenv')

Aside from the fairly obvious "huh?" factor from the error message, the
real question is, what am I missing? Do I need to install something
else, or is it just that the command line is missing something?

Thanks,
Bill