[Nix-dev] Hey, this looks interesting

Tony White tonywhite100 at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 21 01:18:40 CEST 2009

Hi,
I found this :

http://oswatershed.org/

While scanning through slashdot today and I think it's quite relevant,
well to every Linux distribution. It's something that really doesn't
exist in a really usable form (Freshmeat or just plain old rss, atom,
etc.)

Maybe a NixOS addition to the distro section would be worth an ask?
I'm sure the site's monkeys will have little trouble spidering hydra
to get some statistics. Some people might interpret it as a
competition to monitor the distros with the "Freshest" packages but I
think it may help or be a nice step towards solving one of the
problems every distribution faces. Tracking upstream releases. There
are currently about two ways I can see to do that, subscribe to rss,
other feeds or freshmeat and ohloh.
oswatershed.org looks good because the code for the site (I guess it's
some sort of python sql spider and indexer) Is in a git repo and is
licensed under Creative commons Attribution 3.0.

Could oswatershed be useful to NixOs or does Hydra already have a
mechanism to discover upstream releases?
Is hydra "Pluging" Into an oswatershed's Released Today feed (When and
if one becomes part of the site) A crazy idea?

Thanks,
Tony