[Nix-dev] nix-build failing to run

Bill Trost trost at cloud.rain.com
Sat Jul 25 05:28:58 CEST 2009

Lluís Batlle wrote:
    I think you wanted to write something like one of those sparse .nix
    files in nixpkgs, and tried to build from it as if it could work
    isolated from the rest of nixpkgs.

Yes, exactly. I've included my current .nix files, as Marc suggested.

    Following the imports from default.nix, you will end up in
    pkgs/top-level/all-packages.nix. Read a bit this file, and see how
    many functions from .nix files are imported and called with the proper
    parameters (stdenv, fetchurl, ...).

    You will notice that also your $HOME/.nixpkgs/config.nix is imported
    somewhere, and try to guess what does a packagesOverride attribute....

These hints were very helpful. I was able to put together config.nix that
imports my .nix file (also attached). Now, I'm getting a new error:

    nix-build -f pkgs/top-level/all-packages.nix   --no-out-link   -A quilt
    error: infinite recursion encountered

I'm again mystified -- I don't see any recursion at all in what I wrote, and no
clue as to how to get nix-build to tell me why it thinks it's recursing.

Thank again,
Bill

trost at funnel:~/.nixpkgs$ cat ../quilt/default.nix
{stdenv, fetchurl}:

stdenv.mkDerivation {
  name = "quilt-0.48";
  src = fetchurl {
    url = "http://savannah.inetbridge.net/quilt/quilt-0.48.tar.gz";
    sha256 = "...";
  };

  meta = {
    homepage = http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/quilt;
    description = "Quilt allows you to easily manage large numbers of patches by keeping track of the changes each patch makes.";
  };
}