[Nix-dev] building live DVD?

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Sun Mar 1 16:30:27 CET 2009

> :-) I'm glad you've asked. You're not alone:
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.distributions.nixos/1002/match=newcomer
> ( -> "Q: How to start Xorg ?")
>
> If you really want to start X from console manually you should have a
> a look at xlaunch or use this script:
> It extracts teh important information form the /etc/event.d/xserver file
> and writes a launch script with the same setup contents to /tmp/script2.
> I'm using it currently to trouble shoot xorg-git so that I can keep my
> normal X session running. (You can do this yourself. Just follow the
> slim configuration file which contains the X org setup settings)

In case you're interested:
All the upstart stuff can be found in the nixos repo within the dir upstart-jobs(/default.nix).
I guess you've already seen system/options.nix telling you about
which /etc/nixos/configuration.nix options are availible.
You should also know that pierron is working on an alternative
configuration system which will allow defining a computer by pluggable
pieces. The configuration file syntax doesn't change that much though.

Marc