[Nix-dev] Re: nix-dev Digest, Vol 45, Issue 4

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Wed Mar 4 23:19:42 CET 2009

> I am having the same problem at the sencond step. Can I bypass it and directly go on to install step?
>
> As for whether I will be using nix regularly. Sure, if the occasion arises. I am now mostly using Cygwin setup program
> and directly install from the Internet. I am a light unix user and do most work on Window Desktop (firmware programming)...
> and that's why cygwin works so good for me.. cause I can have the bash running side by side with window
> application.
>
> Thanks again. CJ

Hi CJ,

  bypassing:
    find the file containgin the source and replace
    src = fetchurl {
    }

    by

    src = path/to/untarred/dir

If you want to do some further debugging:
Use nix-env -Ki ...
when using -K the build directory is kept. Within that you'll find a
file called env-vars. Source that and try the untarring manually again
(to make sure no nix env vars or missing env vars are causing this
failure..) I recall cygwin has quite a lot of ways to configure
behaviour this way.

I guess you also know about #nixos on irc.freenode.net. You can ask
there as well if you can't follow any of the steps above.

By the way installing by -iA (by path) is much faster.

Eg nix-env -iA aterm -f $NIXPKGS_ALL where NIXPKGS_ALL = path to
nixpkgs/pkgs/top-level/all-packages.nix

nix-env -qa \* -P -f $NIXPKGS_ALL | grep aterm
will tell you about the exact path (left column) which you'll have to
pass by -A.

Sincerly
Marc Weber