[Nix-dev] Re: Hydra, channels, paths

Eelco Dolstra e.dolstra at tudelft.nl
Fri Mar 6 11:52:46 CET 2009

Hi,

Michael Raskin wrote:

> 	I see that currently Hydra provides manifests etc. So it is very close
> to be actually used. Unfortunately, URLs that Hydra gives for .nar.gzs
> are somewhat strange: if I know a store path, I have to guess a build
> referencing it to download anything.. Is there a way to get a nar.gz
> when I know only store path? I'd like to use Hydra with
> nix-reduce-build: it uses a compatible URL scheme, but without build number.

Hydra provides two channels that may be useful:

  http://hydra.nixos.org/channel/latest
  http://hydra.nixos.org/channel/all

which provide the latest build of every job, and all (non-garbage-collected)
builds of every job, respectively.  This means that the NAR archive of every
store path that Hydra knows should be available under

  http://hydra.nixos.org/channel/all/nar/<storepath>

(I do notice that the global "all" channel is kind of slow.  It's probably
hitting the database rather inefficiently...)

There are also channels for each project, for instance,

 http://hydra.nixos.org/project/nixpkgs/channel/latest
 http://hydra.nixos.org/project/nixpkgs/channel/all

and even for every job:

  http://hydra.nixos.org/project/nixpkgs/job/firefox3/channel/latest
  http://hydra.nixos.org/project/nixpkgs/job/firefox3/channel/all

If you want nix --exports rather than NAR archives, I can easily add that...