[Nix-dev] system option summary for fix-style branch? __FILE__ ?

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Sun Mar 8 02:26:19 CET 2009

Because options in fix-style can no longer be found within one file its
very important to get to know about them.

Michael Raskin and justbeingglad agreed on irc as well. grepping in
nixos repo is no option.

So how should this new list of system option look like?

man configuration.nix ? :-)

nixos-configuration-less showing a .txt file?
nixos-configuration-firefox showing a .html file?
nixos-configuration-elinks showing a .html file?

Thanks to Michael Raskin there is already
services.showManual.. However I don't want to switch virtual terminals
to be able to read it.

I think a man page beeing autogenerated on nixos-rebuild would be a nice
solution.

Even when we have that list we may want to edit one of those files.
Would it be convinient to add the file containing the option to the
option itself ?

It could look like this:

services.showManual (/pr/gitnixdev/nixos/upstart-jobs/manual.nix:10)
default: ..

The absolute path is convinient to use when your editor supports jumping to
filepaths natively (such as the gF mapping in vim)

In order to implement something like this there must be a __FILE__ like
thing. Eg its known from cpp replacing __FILE__ by the real filename.

It would be trivial to implement. Maybe it does already exist and I've
missed it?

How do you think about this?

Sincerly

Marc Weber