[Nix-dev] Re: Policy on -fPIC and static libraries

Lluís Batlle viriketo at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 21:56:12 CET 2009

As someone may be interested in a static lib compiled without -fPIC,
I'd prefer to set a boolean variable per package, with a default of
-fPIC enabled. I think the 'global change' people mentioned here
involves using NIX_CFLAGS_COMPILE, isn't it?

This way, people will be able to write his own expressions disabling
-fPIC. What do you think? Then each package with that parameter
enabled could manage to use -fPIC in the best way, maybe only for
library code, and not for the programs code.

(I need -fPIC on the perl package for pidgin to link, too)