[Nix-dev] Re: [Nix-commits] SVN commit: nix - 15436 - raskin - nix/trunk/src/libutil

Michael Raskin 7c6f434c at mail.ru
Wed May 6 15:33:55 CEST 2009

Eelco Dolstra wrote:
>> Add an ftruncate call paired with fallocate to play safe with  some FSes (namely, BtrFS fallocate sets file size to allocated size, i.e. multiple of block size)
>
> That seems like a fairly large bug in BtrFS...
>
> (And should we have workarounds for bugs in pre-alpha filesystems?)

It is seems to be alpha.. Would you prefer to wait until allocation
optimization in ext4 breaks fallocate in some creative way? Actually, I
want to have NixOS with BtrFS store. Just because it seems more
promising: dynamic inode allocation + speed. I have lost faith in ext*
(inode count problems) and in XFS (speed of Nix operations).. And JFS
wants a mandatory FSCK after dirty reboot. So BtrFS looks like a good
hope (unless I value store contents too much, and I don't).