[Nix-dev] Re: compile error while bootstrapping

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Tue May 12 01:02:05 CEST 2009

Hi Ludovic,

 >>   PASS: t-cdiv_ui
 >>   /bin/sh: line 4: 30361 Illegal instruction     ${dir}$tst
 >>   FAIL: t-gcd
 >
 > Surely an indication that GMP was compiled with instruction set
 > extensions (e.g., `-msse4.2') not supported by your CPU.

Yes, that would be a reasonable explanation, of course, but I don't see
anything suspicious in the build log. GMP configures itself as follows:

 | ABI="32"
 | CC="gcc"
 | CFLAGS="-m32 -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -mtune=athlon -march=athlon"
 | CPPFLAGS=""
 | MPN_PATH=" x86/k7/mmx x86/k7 x86 generic"

Those flags ought to work fine with an Athlon Duron. In fact, when I
compile the package manually -- outside of Nix --, then it *does*
succeed the regression test. Whatever the problem is, it looks very much
like its related to Nix in one way or another.

Take care,
Peter