[Nix-dev] Some feedback on the xserver in the modular NixOS branch

Sander van der Burg - EWI S.vanderBurg at tudelft.nl
Fri May 29 16:22:10 CEST 2009

I did some experiments with the modular NixOS today and I have a suggestion for the display manager. In order to use the KDM display manager I had to specify a /etc/nixos/configuration.nix like this:

{pkgs, ...}

{

  services = {
    xserver = {
      enable = true;

      displayManager = {
        kdm = {
          enable = true;
        };
        slim = {
          enable = false;
        };
      };
    };
  };
}

I had to enable the kdm attribute *and* I had to disable slim otherwise and error is thrown. I think this should be handled a bit different. We should enable only one display manager at the same time and therefore not explicitly specifying to disable slim in this case.

Another issue I have with kdm is that the kdm PAM module is not installed, thus I cannot login with KDM.