[Nix-dev] Re: perl: warning: Setting locale failed.

Lluís Batlle viriketo at gmail.com
Sun May 31 15:04:46 CEST 2009

2009/5/31 Ludovic Courtès <ludo at gnu.org>:
> Lluís Batlle <viriketo at gmail.com> writes:
>> Further then, the locale system expects the locale archive (where all
>> the locales are compiled) in the path pointed by the env var
>> LOCALE_ARCHIVE (Nix-only feature of glibc). In my .bashrc I have:
>> export LOCALE_ARCHIVE=/var/run/current-system/sw/lib/locale/locale-archive
>
> But strangely enough:

> $ du -ms /var/run/current-system/sw/lib/locale/locale-archive
> 77      /var/run/current-system/sw/lib/locale/locale-archive
>
> $ LOCALE_ARCHIVE=/var/run/current-system/sw/lib/locale/locale-archive locale -a
> POSIX
stracing shows that the 'locale' commandline isn't caring on
LOCALE_ARCHIVE. I think that the patch for glibc
(locale-override.patch) affects the gettext() libraries, but not the
locale binary, which may be autonomous enough not to use the gettext
initialization.

I also agree that it should be easy to disable the installation of the
77MB locales. :)
Btw, the glibcLocales expression is overridable. Nice. :)