[Nix-dev] Nix Logo.

Nicolas Pierron nicolas.b.pierron at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 19:33:05 CEST 2009

Hi Nixers,

As I've understood, making a logo was a goal defined 2 years ago for
last year.  Since a while, I was trying to think of a logo to express
Nix concepts.

We have choices between:
- A lazy animal (same concept as: gnu, penguin, el-diablos, ...)
- A snow flake (Nix = snow, in latin)
- A moon (Nix and Hydra are both moons of Pluto)

As source of idea, Eelco points me to the Haskell logo suggestions:
http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Haskell_logos/New_logo_ideas

I have made a simple logo which is attach to this mail.  This logo is
a "snow flake" style except that the functional programming and the
laziness is highlighted by missing sub-branches of the snow-flake.  I
wanted to keep this logo simple in order to combine it easily with
others.

Thus:
- Nixpkgs can have a logo where the snow-flake appear on a "package"
box from where other icons are coming out (firefox, gimp, ...).
- NixOS logo can show the Gnu and Linux (or BSD) logo joined by a set
of snow-flakes.  Snow-flakes have an hexagonal structure which make
them """ modular """ because you can cover a surface without holes
with snow-flakes.

Unfortunately, as you may deduce from the small logo attached to this
mail, I am not a very good designer.  Therefore, if you like the idea
I am sure we can make it concrete ;)

--
Nicolas Pierron
http://www.linkedin.com/in/nicolasbpierron - http://nbp.name/