[Nix-dev] Re: Nix Logo.

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Thu Oct 22 10:48:10 CEST 2009

Hello!

Excellent idea!  :-)

Nicolas Pierron
<nicolas.b.pierron at gmail.com> writes:

> Thus:
> - Nixpkgs can have a logo where the snow-flake appear on a "package"
> box from where other icons are coming out (firefox, gimp, ...).
> - NixOS logo can show the Gnu and Linux (or BSD) logo joined by a set
> of snow-flakes.  Snow-flakes have an hexagonal structure which make
> them """ modular """ because you can cover a surface without holes
> with snow-flakes.

I like the snow flake idea, and the lambda snow flake you posted
(nix-3.png).  I’m no logo designer either, though.

For NixOS, I’m afraid having Tux and a gnu and snow flakes on the same
picture wouldn’t be visually pleasant.

Actually, I think the name ought to be changed too (searching for NixOS
on google.fr doesn’t exactly yield what we’d expect:
http://www.google.fr/search?hl=fr&source=hp&q=nixos&btnG=Recherche+Google&meta=&aq=f&oq=).
Perhaps Latin-savvy people can come up with an idea around “nix”?  :-)

Ludo’.