[Nix-dev] NixOS manual question

Nicolas Pierron nicolas.b.pierron at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 10:28:38 CET 2009

Hi,

On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 20:41, Birlinn <birlinn at gmail.com> wrote:
> i just installed NixOS following the manual procedure
> (http://hydra.nixos.org/build/106220/download/1/nixos/manual.html).
>
> fyi after running 'nixos-checkout' as per section 1.4, subversion did
> not appear to have been installed. i installed it with 'nix-env -i
> subversion' and continued.
>
> is the manual out of date or did something go wrong?

The manual is probably outdated on that point.  The previous
'nixos-checkout' script was installing subversion in the root
environment before using it to update /etc/nixos/nixos and
/etc/nixos/nixpkgs local copy.  The current 'nixos-checkout' script
does install subversion, but not at run time.  This script now depends
on subversion, which implies that it has been installed before (at
build time).

I assume that the chekcout did works after all, even if subversion did
not appear in your root profile.  Am I right?

I will fix the manual.

Thanks for your feedback,

--
Nicolas Pierron