[Nix-dev] Error during boot

Marco Maggesi maggesi at math.unifi.it
Mon Sep 7 12:31:35 CEST 2009

On Sep 6, 2009, at 11:42 AM, Marc Weber wrote:

> Excerpts from Marco Maggesi's message of Sun Sep 06 11:14:54 +0200
> 2009:
>>  udevd[987]: error getting signalfd
>
> Hi Marco,
>
> All I can tell you is that this is caused by your old kernel version.
> The problem goes away when using a newer kernel.

Hi Marc,
thank you for your answer.

> Probably you have to downgrade udevd or such. Good luck.

OK.  How can I do this?
(i.e., how can I explicitly force a specific version of udevd?)

Perhaps I'll try first to upgrade to the current (unstable) version of
cryopid.  This would let me to remove the restriction on the kernel
version which could save me from further troubles in future.

Nevertheless I still have a kind of "philosophical" question.
As I said, I run two virtual nixos machines built with the same nixos
expression (but sometimes updated at different times) and this problem
arise only in one of two machines.
How is possible that two virtually identical machines show a
different behavior of this kind?
I would have said that the nixos architecture is designed precisely to
avoid this kind of phenomena.  In other words I would expect

   same hardware + same nix expressions = same behavior.

Right?

Thanks,
M.