[Nix-dev] Re: NixOS manual: "declared by" & "defined by"

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Wed Sep 16 14:01:13 CEST 2009

Hi,

Eelco Dolstra <e.dolstra at tudelft.nl>
writes:

> Maybe we don't need a --manual, "man nixos" would be more logical.

Right.

I’d actually prefer “info nixos” since it’s a structured document with
hyperlinks, for which Info is more suitable IMO.  The docbook2x package
has ‘docbook2texi’ so that should be easily doable.

>>   * I’d prefer “used by” instead of “defined by”, and maybe even
>>     “defined by” instead of “declared by”.
>
> The "declare/define" terminology follows the C/C++ convention.

I understand, but I don’t find it natural in this context.  In
particular, a single option can be used by several modules, and saying
that it’s “defined by” each of these modules makes it sound like there
are several possibly conflicting “definitions”.

Thanks,
Ludo’.