[Nix-dev] nix killed by 11

Nicolas Pierron nicolas.b.pierron at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 17:37:02 CEST 2009

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 17:30, Eelco Dolstra <e.dolstra at tudelft.nl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Nicolas Pierron wrote:
>
>> So we should try to get rid of the stack introspection because:
>> - It can makes errors and can alter non-Terms pointers. (already
>> experience that in a Stratego extension)
>
> It never alters them, it's not a copying garbage collector.

The ATerm library does not modify the content of the term but it
modifies the "age counter" which is a 2 bits counter.  I've already
experienced such case where a pointer have been modified after a long
time of Term allocation.  I even have a test case which only allocate
new terms on the stack (20 frames max => not a stack overflow) which
ends with a segmentation fault.

--
Nicolas Pierron
http://www.linkedin.com/in/nicolasbpierron