[Nix-dev] Separating Free/non-free package

Sander van der Burg - EWI S.vanderBurg at tudelft.nl
Sat Sep 19 17:03:20 CEST 2009

I think seperating packages in a "per-policy" composition file is a very bad idea. It becomes even more difficult for files like python-packages.nix or other expressions that provide their own compositions like the KDE 4.3 expression. Should we also provide a free-python-packages.nix and a free-kde-packages.nix etc? And what about all the redundant code? I think this will make things much more difficult.

We had discussions about these issues in the past and I proposed an idea which is much better idea IMHO :-) .

We should specify for every package a proper license meta attribute and use that license attribute to determine whether the component is free software, open source software, freely distributable or what-ever-class of software you want.

The Nix package manager, however, does not yet provide features to deal with licenses or classes of licenses but this can be implemented in the feature. The other thing is that packages can be released under multiple licenses, such as Firefox which is MPL/LGPL/GPL tri-licensed or Qt which has also a commercial license option. We also don't specify these yet.