[Nix-dev] Re: [Nix-commits] SVN commit: nix - 17460 - viric - in nixos/trunk/modules: . config installer installer/generations-dir installer/grub system/activation

Lluís Batlle viriketo at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 14:23:59 CEST 2009

Saluton!
2009/9/28, Ludovic Courtès <ludo at gnu.org>:
>  Lluís Batlle <viriketo at gmail.com> writes:
>  > 2009/9/28, Eelco Dolstra <e.dolstra at tudelft.nl>:
>  >>  Renaming the Grub-related options to boot.loader.grub is not necessarily a bad
>  >>  idea, but it does break just about every NixOS configuration file :-)  It also
>  >>  requires the manual and examples to be updated (in particular because of
>  >>  boot.grubDevice).
>  >
>  > I knew about the break... but, could I have done it easier?
> How about having a non-colliding name for U-Boot options, and keeping
>  the current name for GRUB?
>
>  It seems GRUB 2 doesn’t work on the SheevaPlug, otherwise we could have
>  all switched to GRUB 2.
I think grub and grub2 rely on a working bios, and don't plan to have
as much hardware initialization as u-boot may have. There is no bios
on the Sheevaplug, and the first code run is the u-boot directly.

I changed the boot attributes in order to get modularity on the
bootloader, agreeing with pierron on the best ways to get it done.
Grub still lacks on modularity even after my changes.

The generationsDir bootloader isn't specific for u-boot (and I even
only mentioned u-boot in the commit message), but helps a lot if a
user doesn't want nixos to care on managing the bootloader. Although
the current nixos supported not managing grub (not defining
grubDevice), I don't know how a user should have managed the boot
loader on his own before generationsDir.

Amike,
Lluís.