[Nix-dev] Re: another style proposal

Yury G. Kudryashov urkud+nix at ya.ru
Sat Apr 3 11:37:32 CEST 2010

Lluís Batlle wrote:

> I prefer having an idea of the dependencies of a package in the
> all-packages.nix file.
It is just "an idea", not "knowledge". Even the arguments in default.nix is
an "idea" (kdegraphics didn't use its djvulibre argument a few days ago). If
you need all packages that depend on a specific one, use grep -r (I use git
grep). If you want to *know* the dependencies of a specific package, look at
buildInputs in its default.nix.

Currently, we have three nearly equivalent lists:
* arguments in all-packages.nix
* arguments in default.nix
* buildInputs ++ propagatedBuildInputs

My style has the following advantages:
* only two lists are needed;
* one can write all needed overrides in "let" part of default.nix, so
default.nix contains really all information about a package.

P.S.: Please, use "list reply", not "reply to all".