[Nix-dev] udev 151

Tony White tonywhite100 at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 14 02:40:19 CEST 2010

On 13 April 2010 23:22, Yury G. Kudryashov <urkud+nix at ya.ru> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm working on udev upgrade. The only remaining problem is the new firmware
> loader. They have rewritten firmware.sh in C, and it uses hardcoded paths. I
> don't want to maintain non-trivial patch that will never be accepted
> upstream, so I've asked the author if he will accept looking also in
> getenv(FIRMWARE_DIRS).
>
> Another solution would be to replace hardcoded paths with
> /var/run/udev/firmware, and symlink a symlink tree of firmware files here.
> Are there any objections against this way?

Hi Yury,
How will this effect /root/test-firmware for say if I just wanted to
chuck in some firmware to test, will that location no longer exist?
I gather that maybe writing the firmware loader in C makes it run a
bit faster than a shell script, is it noticeably any faster?

I don't think any one can object if you just make it work but upstream
should IMO accept your request because the maintainer will hopefully
understand that impure paths are generally bad when programming
anything modular.

I will need to be using the very latest kernel shortly in NixOS
because of the i915 855gm bug in the i915 gpu driver which has only
just last week (Possibly) Been fixed, so I am interested in following
how this pans out.

Thanks,
Tony