[Nix-dev] Re: udev 151

Lluís Batlle i Rossell viriketo at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 23:01:19 CEST 2010

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 09:26:29PM +0400, Yury G. Kudryashov wrote:
> Tony White wrote:
>
> > On 13 April 2010 23:22, Yury G. Kudryashov
> > Hi Yury,
> > How will this effect /root/test-firmware for say if I just wanted to
> > chuck in some firmware to test, will that location no longer exist?
> We can copy your /root/test-firmware into /nix/store. You'll need to nixos-
> rebuild after each change in /root/test-firmware but you'll have rollbacks.
The very purpose of /root/test-firmware in the udev firmware paths was
explicitly to avoid building anything. It helps, if you boot a nixos cd, and
for your wifi card to work you need to put a driver there.
I also used it for aircrack, for temporary firmwares.

> > I don't think any one can object if you just make it work but upstream
> > should IMO accept your request because the maintainer will hopefully
> > understand that impure paths are generally bad when programming
> > anything modular.
> If I will not recieve an answer till Sunday, I'll use the second approach.
I think that you could ask for a :-separated kind of paths in that variable.

Regards,
Lluís.