[Nix-dev] Re: [Nix-commits] SVN commit: nix - 21144 - astsmtl - in nixpkgs/trunk/pkgs: development/libraries/libmad top-level

Alexander Tsamutali astsmtl at yandex.ru
Sun Apr 18 23:26:32 CEST 2010

ludo at gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:
> Hi Alexander,
>
> IMO it’s not the distribution’s job to add entirely new files to
> software packages.  This patch should be submitted to the libmad
> maintainers.  If/when they approve it, Nixpkgs and all other distros
> will get it.
>
> One of the undesirable side effects of such patches is that Nixpkgs
> users can be fooled into thinking that ‘mad.pc’ is an upstream thing,
> and write software that assumes its availability.
>
> Thus I’d be in favor of removing it from Nixpkgs and submitting it
> upstream.  What do you think?

Hi!

I had to add this patch because mpd's configure script uses pkgconfig to
find libmad. And that's because all major distributions (I think)
install mad.pc. I checked Arch Linux, Gentoo and Debian. I don't think
that removing this patch is necessary, but notifying upstream about
current situation is. :)

--
Alexander Tsamutali