[Nix-dev] /bin in chroot builds

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Wed Apr 21 14:31:57 CEST 2010

Lluís Batlle i Rossell wrote:

>> Yeah, I also noticed that nixpkgs stdenv assumes that /bin/bash
>> exists...
>>
>> shell = "/bin/bash";
>
> The pure nixpkgs stdenvs bring its own bash (i686/x86_64/armv5tel-
> linux only).
> You mention the Native stdenvs (impure).

Right, I should have mention that it was in my
impure version on x86_64-freebsd (in /usr/nix*).
I was using bash/gmake/gtar/gsed from ports, as
well as perl and curl (for running nix itself)...

Like you say on Linux it would use the local bash:
shell = stdenvLinuxBoot3Pkgs.bash + "/bin/bash";

--anders

* actually it's in $NIX_PREFIX, but / didn't
   have space for /nix so /usr/nix it was :-)
   I assume one could use a symlink and hope
   for the best, if making "official" binaries.