[Nix-dev] Re: distributed version control system

Yury G. Kudryashov urkud+nix at ya.ru
Fri Apr 23 10:07:01 CEST 2010

Michael Raskin wrote:

> On 04/23/2010 10:27 AM, Yury G. Kudryashov wrote:
>> 1. Are there any objections?
>
> Well, there are some features that SVN has and many DVCS lack.
> a) checking out only a subdirectory. Most VCSes have branch granularity
> for checkouts.
If someone wants to commit to, say, nixpgs, he will need the whole nixpkgs
tree to test his changes. So, I don't think that branch granularity is a
problem.
> b) checking out only a specified revision.
> The question here is also about being able to commit after such partial
> checkouts..
If someone wants to commit, he will need head revision. I know that git
support shallow clones with possibility to commit. Don't know about other
dvcs.