[Nix-dev] Re: udev-153

Lluís Batlle i Rossell viriketo at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 11:00:20 CEST 2010

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 10:08:21AM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hi Yury,
>
> It seems that /root/test-firmware is looked up while evaluating the
> NixOS system expression:
>
>   Cannot evaluate the Nix expression containing the jobs:
>   error: getting status of /root/test-firmware: Permission denied
>
> (From <http://hydra.nixos.org/jobset/gnu/gnu-on-linux>.)
>
> This sounds wrong to me.  And it seems wrong to expects things from
> outside the Nix store and outside /var/run/current-system.

/root/test-firmware should be looked at only at run time, never at build time.

> Besides, what’s that directory supposed to contain?  It is suppose to
> host “test firmwares”, or to allow users to test firmwares, or what?
It is mentioned in the udev firmware load path for the current udev version.
This directory helped on some tricky situations when a user wanted to get a
wireless lan adapter up manually having booted a nixos cd, or aircracking (some
cards need special firmwares for that).