[Nix-dev] Re: optionally copying configuration.nix into system derivation

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Tue Apr 27 18:02:51 CEST 2010

Hello,

ludo at gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Marc Weber <marco-oweber at gmx.de> writes:
>
>> Do you mind me comitting this to NixOS ?
>>
>> commit 776312087c01271ea127daa92abe5742ba53b230
>> Author: Marc Weber <marco-oweber at gmx.de>
>> Date:   Tue Apr 27 03:40:54 2010 +0200
>>
>>     add system.extraSystemBuilderCmds option which can be used to copy
>>     configuration.nix to the system store path. This may be helpful to track
>>     down regressions faster.
>
> Wouldn’t it be friendlier to have a specific option, like
> ‘copySystemConfiguration’?

(The ‘copySystemConfiguration’ would be a boolean telling whether to
copy configuration.nix to the store.)

I’d prefer this option for 2 reasons:

  1. This particular use case might be common, so it makes sense to have
     an option dedicated to it.

  2. It’s easy to shoot oneself in the foot with an option like
     ‘extraSystemBuilderCmds’ because users don’t know exactly in which
     context that command will be executed.

Marc: Does that clarify things?

Thanks,
Ludo’.