[Nix-dev] OpenSSL dowgrade summary

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Wed Apr 28 17:37:35 CEST 2010

Today Lluís Batlle dowgraded OpenSSL because some packages don't compile
yet and Sander found that 1.0.0 might be a bigger change than expected.

0.9.8n also has the security fix.

Those packages I found which don't compile are:
mutt, php, nmap. Also Sander told that KDE does'nt compile.

This also means that the buildfarm has to do much work again.

I suggest living with both versions for a while because we can test
packages piecwise then.

quote:

15:26 < __Sander__> and we should try openssl-1.0.0 in a seperate
branch, e.g.  mass-updates

personal note (IMHO):

  This time it was not me breaking trunk. But it broke again.
  It will break again. I still vote for
  - git
  - having a stable branch which is updated only once a week
    (exception security fixes)

  Why? A lot of issues pop up some days after the initial commit.

  And we start having that much packages that no one can test them all.

Marc Weber