[Nix-dev] OpenSSL dowgrade summary

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Thu Apr 29 00:26:04 CEST 2010

> Marc thinks that 'svn' makes him loose time, while git does that less. Well, I
> know those timings on svn or git operations, but I would never blame a program
> taking 30s for a not very common operation (annotate) or merge (from trunk, to
> trunk) on 'stealing my time'. I think that we can use 'svn' branches. There
> are lots of people in the world using those. It does not work that bad. We
> create a branch, put changes there, we review them ('Mrs. hydra' may specially
> do a good review), and we merge into trunk. Maybe in this situation the
> nixos.org owners can say a little words on "we are not going to change to git
> because ...", to keep the someone's spirits quiet. :)

:)

All right. Does hydra evaluate all branches? Do they have to be
registered somehow? Probably I will have to use branches in the future
and maybe using SVN is bearable. This question arises and does not
depend on git vs SVN vs X.

Hydra should know which branches to build first and for what reason.
I'd say if someone tried to prebuild security fixes this should have a
higher priority.

In git something like this would probably be done by adding a file which
would contain
  a) a description
  b) a build importance note which could be read by hydra

However SVN also has properties, doesn't it?

By the way I always use git blame to find out more about the context in
time of a line in a file.

Its also about writing
svn switch https://long-path/branches/marc/my-test...

vs

git checkout my<tab>

Of course there may be svn completion on paths.. But well.. its remote.
Also I can't work offline.
Those are additional reasons.

git svn does a good job. The issue is that you can't commit into SVN if
different people worked on a branch because you can only commit using
your SVN account.

I still have a lot of ideas. Eg I'd like to see some rough time
estimation on builds. Maybe I'm going to write my own build server for
personal use - because testing is so important to me.

I also hope that you know the value of gitk.

To be complete: I can think about one disadvantage using git:
The repository will grow infinitely. SVN will as well - but only the
server cares about it. So there may be a point where you want to cut off
history. Probablly storage and network capabilities will grow faster
than the Nix* repositories and their branches.

Currently selenium-grid will switch from git to SVN because the new
maintainer wants to use google code only. I'm well aware that everybody
has a different preference. I shout out loudly which my preference is.
If I get on your nerves tell me to shut up. I'll be quite for a period
of time then..

Marc Weber