[Nix-dev] Re: An interview to the fossil creator about fossil

Lluís Batlle i Rossell viriketo at gmail.com
Sun Aug 8 09:49:04 CEST 2010

On Sun, Aug 08, 2010 at 11:37:06AM +0400, Yury G. Kudryashov wrote:
> Lluís Batlle i Rossell wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Aug 07, 2010 at 03:49:13PM +0400, Michael Raskin wrote:
> > Although Fossil comes with bug-tracking and wiki, when I sent the link it
> > was not what I had in mind as relevant in the talk.
> >
> > Some of the points I like of Fossil, then:
> > - It does not allow the kind of git history rewriting. Thus, I favour the
> > use of
> >   more branches with full history keeping instead of "rebase -i; push".
> You can use pull (merge, not rebase); push instead.
Right. Well, I think what I meant is that in 'git' I see a much more often
usage of private branches than what I expect to use in fossil (although it also
allows private branches).

> > Urkud talked about the linking between different projects, but I don't
> > know what was he thinking about. Urkud, can you explain what you had in
> > mind? Do you mean the git ability to pull from a repository *only* commits
> > for a single branch, instead of pulling all?
> It was Evgeny (Phreedom) who was talking about linking between different
> projects. I think that he is talking about
Ah sorry. You think that he is talking about what? Or, Evgeny, what were you
talking about? :)

> > Related to 'git', I've found this days how difficult it is to cross-build
> > perl, and I feel it difficult for me to accept more things perl-based,
> > having other not-worse solutions around. :)
> You need perl only for git-svn and a few other scripts. All the main
> commands are in C or bash.
Ah, nice to know. I did a "grep -R perl" in the git directory, and I saw:
Concidència en el fitxer binari bin/git
Concidència en el fitxer binari bin/git-shell
Concidència en el fitxer binari bin/git-upload-archive
Concidència en el fitxer binari bin/git-receive-pack
Concidència en el fitxer binari bin/git-upload-pack

Although you did not reply with a "+1" on that, I favour a lot the ability
to 'tag' check-ins in the style of monotone certificates, for which I have not
found a similar enough procedure in git.

Either in svn or in git, I don't know how we can have any little information on
"did revision 22403 work to build a nixos on armv5tel-linux?", and I think that
would have a great value.
But most of I know about the usage of certificates or tags/properties in fossil
comes from the manuals, not from usage of those VCS. But I know that I've felt
the lack of that in both svn and git (not only nix-related).