[Nix-dev] Re: Presentation of Eelco Dolstra in GHM'09

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Mon Jan 4 23:39:03 CET 2010

Hello!

Lluís Batlle <viriketo at gmail.com> writes:

> Eelco, do you think anyone there understood the sysadmin problematic
> we try to avoid with nix/nixpkgs/nixos/hydra? Do you know of anyone
> getting engaged by the nix-related software implementations we have?
> Can you write some impressions on the conference, for us to learn a
> bit for the next presentations?
> Maybe also ludo can give some impressions about the public reactions.

Well, I enjoyed the talk.  :-)

People were interested in Hydra and continuous integration in general.
This led to the continuous build of several GNU projects (at
http://hydra.nixos.org/project/gnu), suggested by Eelco and initiated by
Rob Vermaas soon after GHM.  People of the various projects are happy
with that, and a couple of maintainers who had read about it eventually
contacted me to have their project built.

Regarding Nix(OS), I think people were generally enthusiastic about what
it achieves, though perhaps slightly “suspicious” about store paths and
conservative GC.  ;-)  Many questions were raised and there were
interesting discussions.  One of the GNU maintainers is interested in
trying out Nix to manage GNU packages on one of the FSF/GNU boxes.

We’ll see what comes out of it in 2010!

Thanks,
Ludo’.