[Nix-dev] Re: *** GMX Spamverdacht *** Re: *** GMX Spamverdacht *** Re: alsaib patch 2snd part

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Tue Jan 5 15:20:37 CET 2010

> I don’t think anything like that is needed: $ALSA_PLUGINS_DIR is read by
> alsa-lib, which allows it to find ALSA plug-ins, even those installed in
> the user environment.  That’s all we need, right?
consider an x86_64 system. Now intall i686 Skype
Which alsaPlugins to should be insalled now?  the i686 or the x86_64
version?

That's why you have to wrap executables (at least some)
But the effor ist to big. That's why I propose replacing a package by a
wrapped one which will pick the right architecture naturally.

> (It’s the same pattern as $AC_LOCAL_PATH, $LOCALE_ARCHIVE, etc.)
>
> On IRC I was talking about fixing ‘alsamixer’, ‘amixer’, etc. so that
> they too would honor $ALSA_PLUGINS_DIR.  I don’t understand why they
> don’t currently.

Because alsaLib code contains the same section twice. I only fixed one
the first time because I'm used to not duplicating any code .. :-(
The mixer code is different from the backend code.
The patch amendment fixes the second code duplication as well.

Marc Weber