[Nix-dev] Re: Stdenv compilation times

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Mon Jan 18 16:06:48 CET 2010

Hi Eelco,

 >     # Beware!  It took ~6 hours to compile PPL and run its tests on a 1.2 GHz
 >     # x86_64 box.  Nevertheless, being a dependency of GCC, it probably ought
 >     # to be tested.
 >     doCheck = true;
 >
 > A six hour compilation time for a small dependency of GCC is rather much -
 > OpenOffice compiles faster than that.

I see your point, of course, but at the same time I think that running the
regression test suite for a package as basic as this one is really a good
idea. Maybe build times could be sped up a lot by utilizing multiple CPUs
for the build, i.e. by running make with an appropriate -j flag?

Take care,
Peter