[Nix-dev] Re: Stdenv compilation times

Eelco Dolstra e.dolstra at tudelft.nl
Mon Jan 18 17:48:26 CET 2010

Hi,

Ludovic Courtès wrote:

>>> As you know GCC is the dependency of about all of Nixpkgs.  To me it
>>> makes a lot of sense to spend an effort having the core development
>>> tools well tested by default.
>> Why - by default?
>
> Because I want my OS to work as reliably as possible, by default.

Obviously that's important, but it doesn't mean other considerations (such as
build time) are irrelevant.  Here we're talking about increasing the stdenv
build time by a factor of 3 or so for a small library providing functionality
that doesn't appear to be used in Nixpkgs for the moment.  That's a bit too much
IMHO.

For reliability it would be a lot more useful to run GCC's testsuite, but that
might be hard in the bootstrap because of the dependency on Tcl and Expect.