[Nix-dev] Re: Stdenv compilation times

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Tue Jan 19 01:18:41 CET 2010

Hi Peter,

Peter Simons <simons at cryp.to> writes:

>  > I don’t expect to build GCC and its dependencies by hand anyway, so to
>  > me build time is irrelevant.  But I can understand others (e.g., Lluís,
>  > who is currently the only building on ARM) have a different take on
>  > this.
>
> this sounds a loot like test suite runs should be configurable. The
> build form should definitely run them, but individual users might want
> to disable that feature to save some time during development.

Right, but then you get different store paths.

Also, while working on the ‘stdenv-updates’ branch, I relied entirely on
feedback from the build farm: I could not afford to build all this every
few days on my 1.2 GHz box with a 40 GiB hard disk.  That PPL’s test
suite and others were run wasn’t an impediment to me.

Thanks,
Ludo’.