[Nix-dev] gcc with static ppl/cloogppl

Eelco Dolstra e.dolstra at tudelft.nl
Tue Jan 19 14:19:43 CET 2010

Hi,

Lluís Batlle wrote:

> I tried to build gcc with those statically, but as most of the
> commands link with "gcc ... -lppl", and ppl is C++ code, nothing gets
> properly linked with libstdc++ properly.

Yes, I ran into the same problem.  With some effort I got gmp, ppl and cloog_ppl
(by passing --disable-shared) to build, but then GCC fails somewhere because it
can't find libstdc++.  This could probably be fixed by add a "-lstdc++"
somewhere, but messing with GCC's build process gives me a headache :-)

I also tried to build gmp etc. without an RPATH (i.e. by setting
$NIX_DONT_SET_RPATH) and setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH to ${bootstrapTools}/lib during
stage 3 of the bootstrap.  But that gave some weird segfaults.

So I would propose building the standard GCC in stdenv-linux without Graphite
for now, especially since it doesn't seem to do much at present.  In the future
we should fix it though.

BTW, it's rather nasty that GCC, because of the dependency on ppl, now has a
dependency on libstdc++.  At build-time, it links against whatever libstdc++ ppl
is linked against.  But at runtime, it links against the new libstdc++ (I
think), which might be a completely different version.  That's only fine as long
as there are no ABI/API changes...