[Nix-dev] gcc with static ppl/cloogppl

Lluís Batlle viriketo at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 15:10:49 CET 2010

2010/1/19 Eelco Dolstra <e.dolstra at tudelft.nl>:
> Yes, I ran into the same problem.  With some effort I got gmp, ppl and cloog_ppl
> (by passing --disable-shared) to build, but then GCC fails somewhere because it
> can't find libstdc++.  This could probably be fixed by add a "-lstdc++"
> somewhere, but messing with GCC's build process gives me a headache :-)
I also stopped at this very same point. :)

> So I would propose building the standard GCC in stdenv-linux without Graphite
> for now, especially since it doesn't seem to do much at present.  In the future
> we should fix it though.
>
> BTW, it's rather nasty that GCC, because of the dependency on ppl, now has a
> dependency on libstdc++.  At build-time, it links against whatever libstdc++ ppl
> is linked against.  But at runtime, it links against the new libstdc++ (I
> think), which might be a completely different version.  That's only fine as long
> as there are no ABI/API changes...
I think this is a very good reason not to have ppl/cloog at buildtime.
We may have to refactor the stdenv-linux build, through a new middle
gcc that will *not* use ppl/cloogppl. Then we can use it to build
ppl/cloogppl for the 2nd gcc (the final gcc in stdenv). This will
assure no ABI/API changes. But for sure we cannot rely on the
libstdc++ in bootstrap-tools used in ppl/cloogppl.