[Nix-dev] python-wrapper or similar

Nathaniel Griswold griswold at cs.wisc.edu
Fri Jun 11 09:55:00 CEST 2010

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 1:31 AM, Marc Weber <marco-oweber at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi Griswold,
>
> There are multiple ways to address this issue:
>
> a) Do as was done in GHC: collect packages based on $PATH.
>
> b) as done by PYTHON: install everything into ~/.nix-profile
>   Use PYTHONPATH and hope that it works.
>   Why do I say *hope*? Because some packages are known to not work eg
>   pyyaml. I have a patch which fixes it. However I didn't test enoguh
>   yet.
>
> In any case you want to read
> http://wiki.nixos.org/wiki/Howto_keep_multiple_packages_up_to_date_at_once
>
> Also have a look at this proposal:
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.distributions.nixos/4266
>
> In the past python made trouble because setting PYTHONPATH was not
> always enough because it didn't take .pth files into account. This was
> about python-2.5.

I was just noticing this isn't working in 2.6 either

> Using PYTHONUSERBASE does not solve anything because
> - you can only pass one directory (which is fine for the installed
>  environment, but not when building packages)
> - some .egg files are not installed to the user env causing some of the
>  pyyaml issue.
>
> That's my point of view which can be incomplete.
>
> May I ask which is the particular problem you're trying to solve?

Well i just built a couple modules and was having trouble getting them
in my path... the modules are func and certmaster, they compile to
.eggs but don't work even if i set
PYTHONPATH=$HOME/.nix-profile/lib/python2.6/site-packages (i am using
2.6, they are compiled with buildPython25Package). I guess this must
be because eggs require the setuptools.pth to be loaded and it's not,
as you mentioned.

What is the proper way to get around this?