[Nix-dev] Re: python-wrapper or similar

Nathaniel Griswold griswold at cs.wisc.edu
Fri Jun 11 11:23:01 CEST 2010

Hm, ok. I went ahead and just used mkDerivation directly "setup.py
install" instead of going the buildPythonPackage route. This yields
directories instead of eggs. I then made wrappers with appropriate
PYTHONPATH around the binaries, similar to what some other packages
did.

Python eggs (with their site.py and setuptools.pth merging) always
seem ironically more complicated that standard module loading, anyway,
and fitting them into a modular user environment seems to be more
trouble than it's worth.

-nate