[Nix-dev] Re: python-wrapper or similar

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Fri Jun 11 11:43:20 CEST 2010

Hi Ludovic,

 >> Generally speaking, the state of Python in Nix is poor. We need a way to
 >> compute PYTHONPATH properly, like ghc-wrapper does for GHC, but so far
 >> no-one has volunteered to do it.
 >
 > More precisely, the state of Python libraries in user environments is poor.
 > Python applications in user environments (e.g., Tahoe-LAFS, BuildBot) work
 > well.

actually, applications that depend on other Python libraries don't work well,
because they'll generally fail to load their dependencies. The two examples you
mentioned are exceptions, not the rule.

 > Within Nix builds Python’s setup hook along with ‘buildPythonPackage’ do the
 > right thing, too.

Yes, *building* Python code works fine. It's mostly running it that doesn't
work. The reason is that there is no general solution to the problem of setting
up PYTHONPATH.

Take care,
Peter