[Nix-dev] Re: [Nix-commits] SVN commit: nix - 22282 - MarcWeber - nixpkgs/branches/stdenv-updates/pkgs/stdenv/generic

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Fri Jun 18 16:00:35 CEST 2010

Hi Marc,

 > I'm a little disappointed about that I think that you missed an
 > important item: There is a *global opt-in*.

a global opt-in does doesn't help us. Once MAX_PARALELIZZATION is set to
some value other than 1, all builds will be performed with parallelism
enabled unless explicitly configured otherwise. That is not a good idea.
We would like to enable that feature for exactly those builds that we
know are safe to build with parallelism. Your current patch makes that
kind of configuration very hard to accomplish.

 > I'd like to be part of this Nix* team. But you have to help me having
 > fun being one. I can't do better because I do not know what "better"
 > means.

I'm basically in favor of your patch. I'm just unhappy about the opt-out
policy decision. I'm also somewhat unhappy about your patch containing
unrelated re-factoring.

Take care,
Peter